collage: busch gardensm colonial williamsburg, virginia beach

Menu:

Updates:

Regional Map

Help Open Doors

Sponsor

Link to Smithfield Foods: good food responsibly www.smithfield.com

Facebook logo and linkBecome a fan of Accessible Virginia.

 

HISTORIC ST. LUKE'S CHURCH            757-357-3367     
Fax:  757-365-0543                               www.historicstlukes.org
14477 Benn's Church Boulevard, Smithfield, VA  23430
About 200 feet west of the junction of highways 10 & 258.

GENERAL DESCRIPTION: Historic St. Luke's Church, c. 1632, affectionately known as "the Old Brick", is the "Oldest surviving church of English foundation in America" and the only original Gothic church in the USA. It is a national historic landmark, with the oldest legible gravestone dating to 1767. Originally an Anglican church, after the Revolutionary War it was consecrated Episcopal. British Soldiers and Confederates camped under our great oaks, including the infamous British Lt. Colonel Banastre Tarleton who camped here during the Revolutionary War on his way to raid Smithfield.

Historic St. Luke's Church

If you are a history buff and love old churches, please make sure to stop by Historic St. Luke's Church.

PARKING: 2 wheelchair accessible parking spaces in front of gift shop.

TYPES OF PATHS TO OR AROUND ATTRACTION: Brick paving. Paths accessible to persons with mobility disabilities.  Steep grades may require assistance for persons in wheelchairs.  Length of paths 400'.

ENTRANCE:  Front of church.  1 entry door, opened by docent.

PUBLIC REST ROOMS:  Attached to gift shop.  Doors 34 in. wide, open out.  No turns to enter.  Accessible stalls have 32 in. wide doors opening out, and handrails.  19 in. toilet seat height, 12 in. between commode and wall.  Sink height 33 in.  Wrapped pipes.  Accessible stall checked regularly for obstructions. 

SPECIAL SERVICES:
For guests with visual disabilities, there are signs with contrasting background.   

GIFT SHOP:  Ramp at entry.  Counters 34 in. high. Virginia products, resources for genealogy research or books by local authors, scarves, bags, geodes, and St. Luke’s memorabilia.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: Admission fee.  Summer Hours: April – October Monday – Saturday: 9:30 am – 5:00 pm Sunday: 1:00 pm – 5:00 pm Gates close at 7 pm. Winter Hours November – March Monday – Saturday: 9:30 am – 4:00 pm Sunday: 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm Gates close at 5:30 pm. Closed Christmas and the month of January. Tours in January by request.

Guided tours are given of the church. Tours last approximately 45 minutes and cover over 481 years of the history of Historic St. Luke’s Church.

We offer private group tours for church groups, senior groups, school groups, women’s groups, organizations, businesses, family reunions, and more.

Twilight Tours

Behind the iron gates of St. Luke’s Memorial Park, the cemetery rests among the historic gardens. Hidden within the aged granite and marble lies a roadmap of Victorian ideals and local lore. As the light wans across the 17th century bricks, stay awhile and listen to the stories of a bygone era, and discover the cryptic symbols etched across weathered tombs. Twilight Tours are hosted at sunset at Historic St. Luke’s Church. Tours must be scheduled in advance with a minimum one week notice. $15 per person.

 

<<back to Smithfield

 

Home | Regions | Virginia Weather & Maps | Resources |        Outdoor Recreation | About Us | Contact Us | Accessibility Links