collage: mountain vista, mountain music, Native American village

Menu:

Updates:

Regional Map

Help Open Doors

Donation button Donation buttonYour donations improve the independence of persons with disabilities by providing outstanding access information.

Sponsor

 

 

Site Search

search engine by freefind

advanced search

 

Facebook logo and linkBecome a fan of Accessible Virginia.

 

Awards

SATH logo and link

GILES COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY                                      540-921-1050  www.personal.pisnet.com/gileschs                                                          
208 North Main Street, Pearisburg, VA  24134

DIRECTIONS: Come into town on 460 bypass - at traffic light at court house, turn right, go a black and half, museum on right.

GENERAL DESCRIPTION:  In 1987, the Andrew Johnston family heirs deeded the family home built in 1829, a small building built in 1857 which served as a doctor's office, and a modern two-car garage to the Giles County Historical Society. The property was placed on the National Register of Historic Places and an endowment fund was established to restore and preserve the property as a museum.

The Historical Museum opened in October 1997 to house the many items of historical interest that present and former county residents had donated. The two car garage was transformed into a Research Room with documents of interest to Giles County historians and genealogists. The Historical Society is currently fundraising to build a barn that will house a visitors' center and items related to Giles County's agricultural history.

PARKING:  5 designated accessible parking spaces, located in front of museum.  Accessible parking space 10 ft. wide.  Accessible aisle 4 ft. wide.  RV parking.

FACILITIES:  Lowered drinking fountains.

TYPES OF PATHS TO OR AROUND ATTRACTION:  Sidewalks accessible to persons with mobility impairments.  Steep grades may require assistance for persons in wheelchairs.  Length of paths 30 ft.

ENTRANCE:  Museum has on-grade entrances located on first and basement levels. 2 entry doors, 46 in. wide, easily open out with knob handle located 30 in. above floor. Genealogical research office has 1 entry door, 36-in. wide, easily opens in with knob handle located 30-in. above floor. Historic house and doctor’s office have steps to entrances.

PUBLIC REST ROOMS:  Located upstairs and downstairs.  Available without steps.  Doors 36 in. wide, open in.  Turns to enter.  Unisex rest room 

GIFT SHOP:  Aisles 36 in. wide.  Counters 30 in. high.  Aisles clear of temporary displays.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: No admission fee. Hours: Wed.-Fri., 2-5pm. Closed in January and during inclement weather.

 

<<back to Pearisburg

 

Home | Regions | Virginia Weather & Maps | Resources |        Outdoor Recreation | About Us | Contact Us | Accessibility Links