collage of mountain vistasLink to Smithfield Foods proud sponsor of Accessible Virginia Link to: McGuire Woods: Opening Doors for Virginians with Disabilities www.smithfield.com

Menu:

Updates:

Regional Map

Sponsors

Link to Smithfield Marketplacewww.smithfieldmarketplace.com

Site Search

search engine by freefind

advanced search

 

Facebook logo and linkBecome a fan of Accessible Virginia.

 

GLEN BURNIE HISTORIC HOUSE, GARDENS AND JULIAN
WOOD GLASS JR. COLLECTION                        540-662-1473
www.themsv.org/visit/the-house
901 Amherst St. Winchester, VA  22601

DIRECTIONS: From I-81, take exit 317 to Winchester.  Go South on Rte 37 to Rte 50.  Left on Rte 50, (Amherst St.) 1 1/4 mile on right.

GENERAL DESCRIPTION:  The Glen Burnie Historic House traces its history to surveyor James Wood (?-1759), who settled this land in the early 18th century and donated portions of his land to establish the city of Winchester, Virginia in 1744. His son Robert Wood constructed the central portion of the Glen Burnie Historic House in the 1790s. The house’s ownership passed through several generations of Wood and then Glass families until Julian Wood Glass Jr. (1910–1992), acquired it in 1955. Julian Wood Glass Jr. was the last descendent of James Wood to live in the Glen Burnie Historic House.

Beginning in 1959, and aided by R. Lee Taylor, Glass transformed the house into a country estate, and fashioned the Glen Burnie Gardens, 6 acres of rose, Chinese and water gardens.

On display in the Julian Wood Glass Jr. Gallery are paintings and drawings by such recognized artists as William Merritt Chase, John Constable, John Singleton Copley, Jasper Francis Cropsey, Thomas Gainsborough, Francesco Guardi, Sir Thomas Lawrence, Sir Joshua Reynolds, Gilbert Stuart, and James Whistler; as well as fine examples of 18th and 19th century European furniture and American Federal-period furniture from the shop of John and Thomas Seymour.

Visitors may now experience the house on self-guided tours. Along with the display of decorative objects collected by Glass, interpretive panels tell the story of the house and the people who have lived in Glen Burnie over the generations.

PARKING:  2 wheelchair accessible parking spaces.

TYPES OF PATHS TO OR AROUND ATTRACTION:  Gravel, cobblestone, brick, and concrete.  Paths accessible to persons with mobility disabilities, but some steep grades may require assistance for persons in wheelchairs.  There is a designated wheelchair route.

ENTRANCE:  2 exterior steps, each 5 in. high.  Ramp provided.  
2  entry doors, 28 in. wide, easily open in and out with knob handle located 39 in. above floor.  Lift to the main level of the house  

PUBLIC REST ROOMS: On first floor.  Doors 34 in. wide, open in.  Handrails in single toilet room.  10 in. between commode and wall.  Sink height 33 in.  Wrapped pipes.  Stall checked regularly for obstructions.  Unisex or companion assisted rest rooms available.  Rest rooms are identified by a raised figure with pants or skirt on door to designate men or women.

SPECIAL SERVICES:
Special map for guests with disabilities.

For guests with hearing disabilities, written scripts are available upon request. 

For guests with mobility disabilities, lift makes the main level of the house fully accessible. Visitors may now enjoy the the breakfast room, a dining room, the center hall, the library, and the drawing room and the exhibits.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:  V and MC accepted.  Admission fee as part of the Museum of the Shenandoah Valley. Hours: Tues- Sun 10-4. Closed Mon.

 

<<back to Winchester

 

Home | Regions | Virginia Weather & Maps | Resources |        Outdoor Recreation | About Us | Contact Us | Accessibility Links