collage: richmond, civil war soldiers, horseback ridings


Link to McGuireWoods: Opening Doors for Virginians with            

Dominion Energy logo  

 Senior Cool Care Program     Braille/Large Print Billing     Medical Notification List     EnergyShare



Regional Map




Site Search

search engine by freefind

advanced search


Join Us

Facebook logo and linkBecome a fan of Accessible Virginia.


MEADOW FARM MUSEUM                            
(804) 652-1455           
Crump Memorial Park, 3400 Mountain Road, Glen Allen, VA  23060

DIRECTIONS: I-295 to  Woodman Road South Exit, right on Mountain Road.  

GENERAL DESCRIPTION:  Meadow Farm, one of the last remaining 19th-century farms in Henrico County, Virginia, is now an 1860 living history farm focusing on middle-class rural life just before the upheaval of the Civil War. Costumed interpreters provide insights into the lives of Dr. John Mosby Sheppard, the owner of Meadow Farm, and his family. On select weekends, they demonstrate daily and seasonal activities in the farmhouse, barn, doctor's office, blacksmith forge, kitchen, fields, and pastures. The Meadow Farm Museum Orientation Center features a reception area for visitors, exhibit galleries, a gift shop and program room.

PARKING:  2 wheelchair accessible parking spaces.

TYPES OF PATHS:  The paths are loose stones, grass, dirt and brick, with some steep grades which would require assistance for persons in wheelchairs.  Can drive paths in car.

ENTRANCE:  In orientation center.  Ramps provided.  Glass entry doors, 35 in. wide, easily open out with clearly marked pull handle located 36 in. above floor.  Entrance to museum, 5 steps each 8 in. in height with handrail on rt.  Ramp provided.  Door width 42 in. 

PUBLIC REST ROOMS:  At orientation center.  Doors open in.  Turns to enter.  Accessible stalls have 33 in. wide doors opening out, handrails.  19 in. toilet seat height, 11 in. between commode and wall.  Sink height 34 in.  Pipes wrapped.  Accessible stall checked for obstructions.  Rest rooms are identified by a raised figure with pants or skirt on door to designate men or women.

ELEVATOR:  Elevator on 1st floor operated by staff.  2nd floor not accessible to visitors in wheelchairs.  21 steps, 7 in. in height going up and 18 steps 7-1/2 in. in height coming down.  Main floor has 6 steps 8 in. in height to weaving room, and 5 steps 7 in. in height to kitchen.

For guests with hearing disabilities, there are signing interpreters available with advance notice.  Written scripts available.

For guests with visual disabilities, there are documents in large print on non-glossy surface, and many opportunities for tactile experiences within the house and the living history events.

For guests with mobility disabilities, there is an electric lift into the house.  Outside exhibits are wheelchair accessible with pathways of hard-packed gravel.  Trails through the woods are hard-packed dirt.

GIFT SHOP:  Aisles 32 in. wide.  Counters 32 in. high.  Aisles clear of temporary displays.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:  Free admission.  Hours: Mar-Nov, Tues-Sun, Noon-4; Dec-Feb*: Sat & Sun, Noon-4. *Closed first two weeks of January.

<<back to Richmond



Home | Regions | Virginia Weather & Maps | Resources |        Outdoor Recreation | About Us | Contact Us | Accessibility Links